This step by step woodworking project is about free 4×8 chicken coop plans. I have designed this small chicken coop, so you can have fresh eggs every days and so you can grow chicken by yourself. If you don’t like this particular design, you should take a look over my other chicken coop projects HERE. See my other DIY projects HERE.
We recommend you to invest in the best materials you could afford. Therefore, you should buy weather-resistant lumber, such as pine or cedar. Always take accurate measurements before adjusting the size of the components at the proper size. Drill pilot holes trough the components before inserting the wood screws, to prevent the wood from splitting.
Made from this plan
4×8 Chicken Coop Plans
- A – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 96″ long, 7 pieces – 45″ long FRAME
- B – 2 pieces of 4×4 lumber – 96″ long SKIDS
- C – 1 piece of 3/4″ plywood – 48″x96″ long FLOOR
- D – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 96″ long, 5 pieces – 60″ long 2xSIDE WALL
- E – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 8 1/2″ long, 3 pieces – 24″ long, 4 pieces – 60″ long, 1 piece – 41″ long, 1 piece – 17″ long, 1 piece – 20 1/2″ long BACK WALL
- F – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 4 3/4″ long, 2 pieces – 3 1/4″ long, 2 pieces – 60″ long, 2 pieces – 72 1/2″ long, 2 pieces – 73″ long, 1 piece – 31 1/4″ long, 1 piece – 9 1/2″ long FRONT WALL
- 2 pieces of 4×4 lumber – 8′
- 6 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 8′
- 24 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 8′
- 1 piece of 3/4″ plywood – 48″x96″
- 2 1/2″ screws, 3 1/2″ screws, 1 5/8″ screws
- 4d nails, 6d nails, ties
- wood filler , wood glue, stain/paint
- Safety gloves, glasses
- Miter saw, jigsaw
- Chalk line, tape measure, spirit level, carpentry pencil
- Drill machinery and drill bits
How to build a 4×8 chicken coop plans
The first step of the project is to assemble the floor frame. Cut the joists from 2×4 lumber and lock them together with 2 1/2″ screws. Make sure the corners are square and and align the edges flush.
Fit 4×4 skids under the floor frame and then lock them together with rafter ties.
Fit a piece of 3/4″ plywood over the floor frame and align the edges flush. Drill pilot holes and insert 1 5/8″ screws to lock the sheet into place tightly.
Use 2×4 lumber for the wall frames. Cut the components at the right dimensions and and then lay them on a level surface. Drill pilot holes and insert 2 1/2″ screws to lock everything together tightly. Make sure the corners are square and align the edges flush.
Drill pilot holes through the plates and insert 2 1/2″ screws into the studs. Make sure the corners are square and apply the studs every 24″ on center.
Use 2×4 lumber for the back wall, as well. Drill pilot holes and lock everything together with 2 1/2″ screws. You need to frame a window and a opening for the small door to this wall, as well.
Fit the wall frames to the floor and then align the edges flush. Use a spirit level to plumb the walls, drill pilot holes and insert 3 1/2″ screws to lock them into place tightly. Moreover, you need to lock the adjacent wall together tightly with 2 1/2″ screws.
This 4×8 chicken coop is the ideal project if you plan to start a nice homestead and have fresh vegetables every day.
Thank you for reading our project about free 4×8 chicken coop plans and I recommend you to check out the rest of the projects. Don’t forget to LIKE and SHARE our projects with your friends, by using the social media widgets. SUBSCRIBE to be the first that gets our latest projects.
<< Previous | Next >>