Why doing DIY projects?
Woodworking is one of those activities that stimulates your creativity and gives you self confidence. As any other hobby, you should start with basic projects so you get accustomed with the skills and then move to more challenging projects. If you have a stressful life or you are just looking for an activity to help you bond with your family or friends, doing DIY projects is the ideal choice.
Not to mention that you can add value to your house while keeping the costs down. You really can save a lot of money by choosing to build your own furniture or outdoor structures. There are so many success projects on my blog shared by DIY-ers like you and me. They chose to take up the plunge and start building.
Tools for Starting Woodworking
I will show you the tools you need to have in your shop for building my projects or any other DIY project. Therefore, you need a good drill to make pilot holes and an impact driver for inserting the screws accurately and without damaging the wood. In addition, you need a miter saw for making regular cuts, as well as angle cuts. A circular saw will help you have more mobility when making the straight cuts, while a jigsaw is ideal for making curved cuts.
Next, you will need nail guns for speeding up inserting the nails. The nails are ideal for large outdoor projects (sheds, benches, fences) or for finishing nails. If you buy the nail guns you also need the compressor. You will also need a sander to even out surfaces and to smooth the edges. The router will help you make rabbets and mortises, as well as rounding the edges.
If you have these tools in your shop, you will be able to build almost anything. As you can see you don’t need expensive tools or investing thousands of dollars in your hobby. With under 500 dollars you will be able to have the basic tools and be ready for any woodworking challenge. All in all, the minimum tools you need to start building wood projects are: a circular saw, a drill and a sander. The rest of the tools will help you build with more precision and get nice finishing touches.
- For drilling pilot holes and inserting screws
- For smoothing wooden edges
- For evening out a surface
- For making straight cuts
- For cutting wood planks or for making miter cuts
- For making curved cuts
- For driving in brad nails
- For finishing nails (trims, decorative elements)
- For the nailers
- For complex cuts (dados)
- For cutting plywood sheets
- For making rabbets and mortises
- For rounding edges
- Mills rough stock lumber to size in a matter of seconds
- Ideal if you use recycled or pallet wood for your projects
- Includes a 1/2-inch keyed chuck and onboard key storage
- Operates at 5 different speeds: 740, 1100, 1530, 2100, 3140 RPM
- Max cutting depth: 0.55″, Cutting Angle: 0 – 45 degree
- Biscuit Spec: #0, #10, #20
- Bluetooth connectivity for internet radio and stored music with range of up to 150-feet
- Protective aluminum/rubber roll cage
- Runs on Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion batteries or plugged into a 120-Volt AC outlet
Pocket Hole System
Most of my plans use pocket hole joinery, as it is a quick and strong method to join two pieces of wood together. The following pocket hole jigs are durable, quick to adjust and very easy to use, starting with the Mini jig up to the Foreman, you can select the product that best suits your needs and budget.
Kreg MKJKIT Mini Kreg Jig Kit – 19.95 $
- Requires clamp
- For very small projects only
Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole Jig System – 39.95 $
- Requires clamp
- For small projects
- Built-in clamp
- For medium projects
Kreg K5 Pocket-Hole Jig – 129 $
- Built-in clamp
- For medium and large projects
- The pocket hole jig I have myself and I recommend for an average DIY-er
Kreg DB210 Foreman Pocket-Hole Machine, Blue – 399.99 $
- Built-in clamp
- For extra-large projects
- Makes pocket-hole joints as easy to clamp as they are to make
- Easy to use easy to install and highly durable
- The Multi-Mark features three different scale configurations, a built-in level, a handy 3/16″ reveal gauge
- Perfect for general layout
Beside the jig you will need screws for joining wooden components together. When joining 1 by x slats together you will have to use 1 1/4″ screws. When joining 2 by x lumber you have to use 2 1/2″ screws. Have this in mind and you will join wood easily and you will create strong frames.
- For joining wood planks of various thicknesses
- For joining 3/4″ thick wood planks
- For joining 1 1/2″ thick wood planks
Accuracy is a key aspect when building projects, as well as safety. Therefore, I recommend you to get yourself a good ruler, pencils as well as ear protection and safety glasses.
- A wide variety of general purpose accessories
- 91 piece drilling and driving Set
- Jaws resist warping and can be angled to accommodate uniquely-shaped materials
- Non-skid feet prevent sliding
- High-carbon steel is durable for long life where high accuracy and tolerance is not critical, especially important with hand use.
- Backed by the IRWIN lifetime guarantee. Made in the USA from global components.
- Durable right angle aluminum clamp for making cabinets or box-frames
- 3-inch clamp face with V-groove design to hold round materials
- Ideal for outdoor woodworking projects (playhouse, gazebos, pergolas)
- Making marks with a pencil will help you get accurate cuts
- You know how they say: Measure twice and cut once
- Adjustable to Fit All Sizes
- Guaranteed not to Break
- Use safety glasses when cutting the wooden boards
- Helps protect against cuts, abrasions and punctures.
- No dripping, replaceable tips
From paint to nails, there a few materials you need in your shop so you can handle most projects at any time.
- Purpose of use for Hardware, wood-glues
- This product is manufactured in United States
- Patented formula goes on purple and dries white when ready to sand, stain or paint
- Stainable, paintable and sand able
- Gel Stains are heavy-bodied, and so do not penetrate as deeply into the wood as liquid oilbase stains do
- They are often less affected by the condition of the wood
- The hardest, most durable consumer polyurethane top coat on the market today
- 1,200 brads total; 1″, 1-1/2″, 1-3/4″, & 2″ nails
- Use for moldings, picture-frame assembly, trim, and cabinetry building
- Made in Taiwan
- Thoughtfully constructed premium paint brushes for pros
- Can withstand even the most abrasive surfaces for versatility and heavy-duty jobs
- Use to sand wood, paint, metal, plastic, drywall, and fiberglass
- Measures 9 inches by 11 inches per sheet, 5 sheets per pack
- Includes 1 sheet very fine, 2 sheets fine, 2 sheets medium
The following tools are indispensable for drywall projects.
- Max reach for horizontal ceilings: 11 feet (15 feet with optional extension, sold separately)
- Max single sheet capacity: up to 4-foot by 16-foot
- DEWALT brushless motor in both units that delivers up to maximum run time
- ScrewGun offers maximum speed and control and high torque capability for wide range of applications
- Tape conforms to any angle
- 6-inch blade withlimited lifetime warranty
- Sharpened tip for puncturing drywall
- Interior/exterior use
- Ready-to-use, Resists cracking, Sands easily
- Drywall flexible steel taping knife
- Used for spackling, scraping, spreading and stripping
The following books represent an useful reading and might give you some building ideas.
- This book shows you how to build quality furniture projects in less than two days of shop time, and using raw materials that are available at any home center
- This book takes a traditional approach to teaching, with the idea that learning basic skills is essential to craftsmanship
- A complete guide to the tools used by a shokunin, or master Japanese craftsman, this book is ideal for both beginning and professional woodworkers
Here are a few tools or software I use for this blog or for my other online projects.
- 24.2 MP CMOS DX-format sensor
- 5 frames per second continuous shooting
- Earn money by monetizing your content
- Earn 10% more in the first months by signing up through this LINK
- One of the largest pools of advertisers in the world
- 99.99% uptime guaranteed
- Best live support for hosting services