This step by step woodworking project is about XL dog house roof plans free. This is PART 2 of the xl dog house project, where I show you how to build the lean to roof for the shelter. Building a sturdy roof for the dog house is very easy and it will protect the pet from the elements. My plans come with step by step instructions and you can easily adjust all the dimensions to suit your needs. See my other DIY projects HERE.
We recommend you to invest in the best materials you could afford. Therefore, you should buy weather-resistant lumber, such as pine or cedar. Always take accurate measurements before adjusting the size of the components at the proper size. Drill pilot holes trough the components before inserting the wood screws, to prevent the wood from splitting.
Made from this plan
XL Dog House Roof – Free DIY Plans
- F – 2 pieces of T1-11 siding – 48″x59 3/4″ long EXTERIOR WALLS
- G – 5 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 72″ long RAFTERS
- H – 1 piece of 3/4″ plywood – 44″x72″ long, 1 piece – 16″x72″ long ROOF SHEETS
- I – 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 72″ long, 2 pieces of 1×6 lumber – 64″ long TRIMS
- I – 35 sq ft of tar paper, 35 sq ft of asphalt shingles ROOFING
- 5 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 6′
- 2 pieces of 3/4″ plywood – 4’x8′
- 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 6′
- 2 pieces of 1×6 lumber – 6′
- 2 pieces of T1-11 siding – 4’x8′
- 35 sq ft of tar paper, 35 sq ft of asphalt shingles
- 2 1/2″ screws, 3 1/2″ screws, 1 5/8″ screws
- 4d nails, 16d nails
- wood filler , wood glue, stain/paint
- Safety gloves, glasses
- Miter saw, jigsaw
- Chalk line, tape measure, spirit level, carpentry pencil
- Drill machinery and drill bits
- One Day
How to build an extra large dog house roof
First of all, you need to build the rafters for the xl dog house. Use 2×4 lumber for the rafters. Mark the cut lines on the rafters and then get the job done with a circular saw. Smooth the edges with sandpaper.
Fit the rafters to the top of the dog house and space them as shown in the diagram. Use screws to secure the rafters to the top plates.
Cut the exterior walls from T1-11 siding, as shown in the diagram. Align the edges with attention and insert 2″ nails, every 8″ along the framing.
Fit the 3/4″ plywood sheets to the top of the dog house. Cut the sheets at the right dimensions and then attach them to the roof of the dog house. Align the edges with attention and insert 1 5/8″ screws, every 8″ along the framing.
Fit the 2×6 trims to the sides of the dog house and the 1×6 trims to the front and back of the roof. Align the edges with attention and use 2 1/2″ screws to lock the trims into place tightly.
Cover the dog house roof with asphalt shingles or metal sheets. Check out PART 1 of the project, so you learn how to build the dog house.
Last but not least, you need to take care of the finishing touches. Fill the holes with wood putty and let it dry out for a few hours. Smooth the surface with 120-220 grit sandpaper and apply a few coats of paint or stain to enhance the look of the project. Make sure all the edges are smooth, so your pet doesn’t get hurt.
Thank you for reading our project about xl dog house roof plans and I recommend you to check out the rest of the projects. Don’t forget to LIKE and SHARE our projects with your friends, by using the social media widgets. SUBSCRIBE to be the first that gets our latest projects.
<< Previous | Next >>