This step by step diy project is about 2×4 bench plans. If you want to build a beautiful wooden bench with backrest for your garden, using just 2x4s, we recommend you to check out this project. Any person with basic woodworking skills can get the job done in just a few days. Don’t forget to take a look over the rest of the indoor and outdoor projects and to adjust the design and size of the bench to suit your needs.
You should always plan everything from the very beginning and to adjust the size of the bench to your needs, while you can still use the woodworking techniques described in this project. Taking into account the simple design, this outdoor bench can match the style of any backyard. Mark the cut lines on the slats before making the cuts and use a jigsaw to get the job done.
There are a few tips that you should take into account, if you want to get a professional result. Therefore, take accurate measurements and use professional tool when making the cuts or when drilling pilot holes. Align the components at both ends and add waterproof glue to the joints, if you want to create a rigid structure. Round the exposed edges with sandpaper or by using a good router.
Made from this plan
2×4 bench plans
- A – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 24″ long, 2 pieces – 36″ long SIDES
- B – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 60″ long, 4 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 18″ long SEAT FRAME
- C – 5 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 60″ long SEAT
- D – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 21″ long, 1 piece of 2×4 lumber – 55″ long STRETCHER
- E – 1 piece of 2×6 lumber – 60″ long, 7 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 23″ long BACKREST
- F – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 24″ long ARMRESTS
- Safety gloves, glasses
- Miter saw, jigsaw
- Chalk line, tape measure, spirit level, carpentry pencil
- Drill machinery and drill bits
- Use a good miter saw to make the angle cuts
- Drill pilot holes before inserting the screws
- One Weekend
How to build a 2×4 bench
The first step of the project is to build the frame of the bench. Cut the components out of 2×4 lumber at the right size, using the information displayed in the diagram. Drill pocket holes at both ends of the short components and secure them to the perpendicular slats using 2 1/2″ screws. Add glue to the joints and make sure the corners are right-angled.
Next, you need to attach the 2×4 legs to the frame of the bench. Cut the components at the right size and drill pilot holes through the components before inserting the screws, to prevent the wood from splitting. Use 2 1/2″ screws and use a spirit level to make sure the seat is horizontal and the legs are plumb.
Fit the stretcher to the bottom of the wooden bench, in order to add strength to the structure. Drill pocket holes at both ends of the braces and secure them to the legs using 2 1/2″ screws. Drill pocket holes at both ends of the stretcher and secure them to the braces using 2 1/2″ screws.