This step by step woodworking project is about wooden tree ladder stand plans. I have designed this ladder stand for the hunters out there. In addition, this project is also ideal for sight seeing. This stand is super sturdy and very easy to build. Make sure you invest in weather resistant lumber (cedar, redwood), as the components will be exposed to the weather elements. See my other DIY projects HERE.
We recommend you to invest in the best materials you could afford. Therefore, you should buy weather-resistant lumber, such as cedar. Always take accurate measurements before adjusting the size of the components at the proper size. Drill pilot holes trough the components before inserting the wood screws, to prevent the wood from splitting.
Made from this plan
Tree Ladder Stand – Free DIY Plans
- A – 2 pieces of 4×4 lumber – 220″ long LEGS
- B – 9 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 30″ long STEPS
- C – 2 pieces of 4×4 lumber – 96″ long, 1 piece – 30″ long, 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 30″ long, 2 pieces – 37″ long FRAME
- D – 4 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 31 3/4″ long, 2 pieces – 24″ long, 1 piece – 27″ long SEAT FRAME
- E – 2 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 48″ long, 2 pieces – 33″ long FRAME
- F – 2 pieces of 1×6 lumber – 27 1/4″ long, 1 piece – 25 1/2″ long ARMRESTS
- G – 1 piece of 3/4″ plywood – 25 1/2″x27″ long, 1 piece – 15 1/4″x27″ long, 2 pieces – 15 1/4″x24 3/4″ long SEAT
- H – 1 piece of 3/4″ plywood – 24″x37″ long FOOTREST
- I – 2 pieces of 4×4 lumber – 61 1/2″ long, 2 pieces – 95 1/2″ long BRACES
- 2 pieces of 4×4 lumber – 20′
- 7 pieces of 4×4 lumber – 8′
- 8 pieces of 2×4 lumber – 8′
- 1 piece of 1×6 lumber – 6′
- 1 piece of 1×2 lumber – 4′
- 2 pieces of 3/4″ plywood – 4’x8′
- 2 1/2″ screws, 1 5/8″ screws
- 3 1/2″ screws, 4 1/2″ screws
- wood filler , wood glue,
- Safety gloves, glasses
- Miter saw, jigsaw
- Chalk line, tape measure, spirit level, carpentry pencil
- Drill machinery and drill bits
- One Day
How to build a tree ladder stand
The first step of the project is to build the horizontal frame for the ladder stand. As you can easily notice in the diagram, you need to use 4×4 and 2×4 lumber for the components. Drill pocket holes at both ends of the 30″ long components and insert 2 1/2″ screws. Take accurate measurements and check if the corners are square.
The next step of the project is to build the ladder for the tree stand. Use 4×4 lumber for the posts and 2×4 lumber for the steps. Align the edges with attention, drill pilot holes and insert 3 1/2″ screws to lock them into place tightly.
The next step of the project is to assemble the frame for the ladder stand. Make sure the corners are square, drill pilot holes through the frame and insert 3 1/2″ screws into the posts.
Continue the project by attaching the vertical supports to the horizontal frame. Plumb the supports with a spirit level, drill pilot holes and insert 2 1/2″ screws into the frame.
Next, attach the 2×4 lumber components to form the seat frame. Use 2 1/2″ screws to lock them into place tightly.
Fit the 2×4 supports to the top of the vertical components. These are the armrests supports. Use 2 1/2″ screws to lock the supports into place tightly.
Fit the 2×4 supports to the back of the ladder stand chair.
Use 3/4″ plywood for the footrest. Mark the cut lines on the plywood panels and then get the job done with a circular saw.
Fit the footrest to the horizontal frame and then secure it into place with 1 1/2″ screws. Drill pilot holes before inserting the screws, to prevent the plywood from splitting.
Use 3/4″ plywood for the seat as well. Cut the panel at the right dimensions and then secure them into place with 1 1/2″ screws.
Fit the plywood panel to the back of the chair.
Fit the panels to the sides of the chair.
Fit the trims to the top of the chair.
Use 4×4 lumber for the braces. Use a miter saw to make 45 degree cuts to both ends of the braces. Fit the braces into place and insert 4 1/2″ screws to lock them into place tightly.
Fit the ladder stand to the tree and add a few pieces of wood to make sure it fits properly around the trunk. Use long screws to lock the tree stand to the tree. Make sure the ladder is perfectly plumb. If you like my project, don’t forget to SHARE it on Facebook and Pinterest.
Thank you for reading our project about tree ladder stand plans and I recommend you to check out the rest of the projects. Don’t forget to LIKE and SHARE our projects with your friends, by using the social media widgets. SUBSCRIBE to be the first that gets our latest projects.