This step by step project is about how to build a platform bed frame. A simple bed frame could be build by anyone, if you haven’t found a product that satisfies your tastes or if you want to save money. Our plans feature a bed frame made out of wooden boards with simple legs and a beautiful headboard. Pay attention to our tips and instructions, if you want to prevent costly mistakes.
In this project we show plans for a simple platform bed frame for a standard queen-size bed mattress. Building a wooden bed frame is easy and can be done by anyone with basic woodworking skills, as you just need to cut the components and lock them tightly with screws. As you will see in the project, you also have to pay attention to details as all the components should be aligned at both ends.
Using quality materials for the woodworking project is essential, if you want to build a durable platform bed frame. When buying the lumber, we recommend you to take a look on the quality of the boards. Generally speaking, the lumber should be straight and in a good condition. Look for chips, cracks or twists, when evaluating the lumber. If you want to build a rustic queen size bed frame, check out the link.
Made from this plan
Building a platform bed frame
- A – 8 pieces of 1×6 – 67” long, 2 piece of 1×3 – 62”, 2 pieces of 1×3 – 40 1/4” HEADBOARD
- A – 2 pieces of 1×2 lumber – 40 1/4”, 1 piece of 1×3 lumber – 68 1/2” long HEADBOARD
- A – 2 pieces of 1×3 lumber – 41” long, 1 piece of lumber of 1×3 lumber – 68 1/2” long HEADBOARD
- B – 4 pieces of 4×4 – 6” long LEGS
- C – 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 80 1/2”, 2 pieces of 2×6 lumber – 63 1/2” long FRAME
- D – 2 pieces of 2×2 lumber – 80 1/2” long CLEATS
- E – 16 pieces of 1×4 lumber – 60 1/2” long SLATS
- F – 2 pieces of 1×3 lumber – 83″ long, 2 pieces of of 1×3 lumber – 65 1/2″ long, 1 piece of 1×2 lumber – 65 1/2″ long TRIMS
- Safety gloves, glasses
- Miter saw, jigsaw
- Chalk line, tape measure, spirit level, carpentry pencil
- Drill machinery and drill bits
- Pre-drill holes in the wooden components, before driving in the screws
- Apply several coats of wood stain to the wooden components
- Adjust the size of the headboard, according to your needs and tastes
- One Day
- How to build a twin size bed frame
- How to build a queen size bed frame
- How to build a king size bed frame
How to build a platform bed frame
The first step of the project is to build the main frame of the platform bed frame, using our plans. Cut the 2×6 wooden boards to the right size and smooth the edges, before assembling them together.
The next step of the project is to attach the 2×2 cleats to the interior faces of the bed frame. As you can see in the image, you should drill pilot holes trough the cleats and secure them to the frame with 2′ 1/2”’ wood screws, every 8”.
Continue the woodworking project by attaching the support slats to the cleats. As you can easily notice in the image, you have to place the 1×4 slats equally spaced and leave about 1 1/2” between them. Secure the slats into place with 1 1/4” screws.
The next step of the project is to attach 4×4 wooden posts to the bed frame. You could buy these legs or give them a nice shape with a table saw. In order to build a platform bed frame with a neat look, we recommend you to secure the legs to the frame with pocket hole screws. In this manner, you will create tight joints and the head of the screws won’t be visible.
After building the platform bed frame, we recommend you to enhance the look of your room with a simple headboard. As you can see in the image, you need to use 1×6 slats and 1×3 trims to build the panel.
Attach the 1×2 trims to the sides of the headboard. In addition, attach the 1×3 trims to the top of the wooden headboard. Work with great care, making sure you align all the components in a professional manner.
One of the last steps of the project is to attach the trims to the front face of the headboard. As you can see in the image, you should cut the ends of the 1×3 trims at 45º. Sand the edges with medium-grit sandpaper, before locking them into place with 1 1/4″ brad nails and glue.
If you want to enhance the look of the platform bed frame, you should attach 1×3 trims to the top edges of the components. Align the trims at both ends and lock them into place with 1 1/2” finishing nails.
Last but not least, you have to take care of the finishing touches. Therefore, fill the holes with wood filler and let it dry out for several hours. Afterwards, smooth the surface with 120-grit sandpaper, along the wood grain.
Thank you for reading our diy project about how to build a platform bed frame and we recommend you to check out the rest of the projects. Don’t forget to share our projects with your friends, by using the social media widgets. LIKE us on Facebook to be the first that gets our latest projects and to help us create more free plans for you.